May Contain Affiliate Links
The abundance of TV ads that claim their products can get rid of 99.9% of all bacteria implies that there’s a clear connection between cleanliness and health. After all, surgeons do have an obligation to scrub their hands and arms before an operation – even though they are going to wear gloves. The reason for this precautionary washing practice is that infection can spread quickly. To prevent risks of contamination and diseases, keep strict hygiene is part of a surgeon’s job.
As a homeowner, your task is similar. Keeping your home as clean as you can dramatically affect your health. While it doesn’t mean you should turn into a cleaning and washing machine, you need to understand where the risks are and how to reduce them under your roof.
Get rid of invisible toxins
The air inside your home is just as polluted as the air outside. However, instead of car fumes, you’re dealing with a different kind of toxins. Indeed, materials such as plastic, plywood and other synthetic fibers can release harmful particles in the air. If you have an HVAC system, it’s likely that most particles will be safely sucked in and cleared through your air filter. However, if you fail to book regular filter and HVAC repair and maintenance appointment, you might end up in a situation where you AC unit releases toxins in the air instead of catching and keeping them. Natural ventilation and purifying plants can also help to clean the air.
Seriously, why use chemicals?
There’s another surprising source of air toxins that most people forget; cleaning products. Indeed, chemicals are unhealthy – you’ve probably noticed that from the skull and crossbones icon on the label. You should use them with great caution, as they pollute the air as you clean the house, which can lead to respiratory discomfort. You can switch to natural cleaning products in both situations, such as using lemon juice to clean out the limescale from your shower head or refresh your fridge. Besides, you won’t have to worry about keeping your cleaning products away from children and pets.
Don’t let the mold break you
Mold patches can go unnoticed for weeks and months when they grow in areas with difficult or infrequent access. Your basement or that little spot under the bathtub can be infected, and you wouldn’t know/ What are the typical signs of mold spores in the air? You can notice signs of allergies and respiratory diseases. When the mold patches are fully developed, you’ll get a slight musty smell. The good news is that you can use a natural ingredient such as vinegar to get rid of mold. The bad news is that it’s not active on large areas. For these, you’ll need to invest in harmful chemicals. Remember to ventilate the room afterward to remove air toxins.
If you want to avoid the risk of a household allergy outbreak, you need to remove the most common causes; dust mites and pet hair. Vacuuming your home weekly or even twice a week if you’ve got pets can improve existing conditions and prevent the development of further issues.
Can you make cleaning your go-to health option at home? Keeping your family healthy is about being attentive to the risks in your household. Don’t let your home make you sick!