This Post May Contain Affiliate Links
Your home should be your sanctuary and the place you feel the safest, but there are often hidden dangers in residential properties. Although you can’t always see them, you should take steps to ensure these harmful toxins aren’t present in your home…
Lead paints and pipes
Although the dangers of lead are now well-understood, this wasn’t always the case and many older homes still have lead pipework and/or lead paint inside them. Exposure to lead can cause a myriad of health problems, such as mood disorders, developmental issues, migraines and headaches, difficulty concentrating, abdominal pain and/or joint stiffness and discomfort.
If you’re unsure whether there is lead present in your home, contact a reputable specialist who can confirm whether there is any lead paint or pipework present and remove if it necessary.
Known as a ‘silent killer’, carbon monoxide can make you very ill, very quickly. Unfortunately, the gas is odorless and colorless, so you may not realize you’re being poisoned until it’s too late. Often causing fatigue, nausea, dizziness and other flu-like symptoms, carbon monoxide can cause you to lose consciousness and exposure may even be fatal in some cases.
Appliances, such as gas heaters and stoves, are common causes of leaks so it’s essential that only qualified technicians carry out appliance repairs and services. Your home should also have working carbon monoxide alarms which will alert you if a leak occurs.
Commonly used in construction, many homes still contain asbestos in some form or another. Old ceilings, floor tiles, insulation and roofs often contain asbestos and this can be particularly harmful to your health. Exposure to asbestos can cause serious and/or fatal illnesses, such as asbestos and mesothelioma, so it’s important to get certified asbestos testing and removal carried out in your property. It’s the only way to be sure you’re safe.
Unfortunately, mold can be difficult to completely remove and it’s likely that there’s already mold present in your home. Most commonly found in areas which are poorly ventilated, mold can make you feel very unwell. Coughs, sinus congestion, chest infections, and asthma can all be caused or triggered by the presence of mold, but there are various specialist products and services which can help to minimize and remove mold from your property.
Salmonella and E. Coli
These bacteria are responsible for many cases of food poisoning but they can do more than cause vomiting and gastrointestinal symptoms. In severe cases, contracting salmonella or E. Coli can be fatal, so food handling and storage should always be taken seriously. Keeping raw meat separate from other foods, maintaining high hygiene standards, cooking food thoroughly and using separate utensils, storage containers and cookware to prepare raw meat can help to minimize the risk of ingesting the bacteria and may prevent you from becoming unwell.
Now you’re aware of common household toxins and the harm they can cause, it’s time to take action. However, some household toxins can be particularly dangerous when they’re disturbed or moved so getting specialist help and assistance is always advisable.