Can you put a grill on a wooden deck?
Using a grill on a wooden deck can lead to unwanted fires. Sparks might ignite wood decking boards or railings. Windy conditions can increase the danger from stray sparks. If you grill on a wooden deck, have a fire extinguisher handy and keep your eyes on the grill and surrounding deck area at all times.
What can you put under the grill?
5 recipes to cook under the grill
- Charred tomato toasts.
- Simple grilled chicken tenders.
- Pesto spaghetti with cheesy grilled tomatoes.
- Garlic lamb chops with mint and mustard sauce.
- Grilled banana and Ricotta pots.
How do you protect a wood deck from a charcoal grill?
Read on to discover a few top tips for preventing any damage to your wooden deck while grilling.
- 1 Use a Grill Mat.
- 2 Keep Your Grill Clean and Free of Grease.
- 3 Keep Your Grill Away from Your Home.
- 4 Have a Fire Extinguisher (and Baking Powder) Nearby.
- 5 Be Mindful of the Weather.
- 6 Use Two-Zone Indirect Cooking.
Can you keep a grill on a deck?
Grilling Safety Tips
Make sure grills are not underneath overhanging branches. Grills cannot be used on a porch, balcony or deck with a roof, overhang or wall (other than the exterior of the building).
How do you hide a grill on a deck?
How to Hide a Grill
- Store your grill in a corner of your yard or deck. …
- Place potted trees in front of the grill if you are renting and can’t install permanent items or if you don’t have a suitable corner to use. …
- Invest in a fold-up wall barbecue if you have a small yard or deck and want to save space.
Where should a grill be placed on a deck?
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends keeping grills of all types away from deck railings, eaves, and tree branches, as they can overheat and catch fire. To play it safe, the authority recommends placing your grill at least 10 feet away from your home to avoid the risk of a fire.
Do grilling mats work?
Grill mats can withstand high temperatures, which makes them ideal for grilling as well as in the oven. Thinner mats can withstand temperatures up to 500° F. … For maximum safety, keep your mat at about 300° to 400° when grilling. Cooking with your mat at a lower temperature also means it may last longer.
Can you put a gas grill on a Trex deck?
Yes, Gas grills are safe to use on a composite deck. Composite decking is designed to a minimum of Class C fire rating similar to wood decking. … As an extra layer of protection, people will often place a grill mat or pad to protect the decking from both heat and spills.
How much clearance does a grill need?
Maintain proper clearance to combustibles. As per the manufacturer’s suggestions, we recommend 20 inches to the rear of the grill, 7 inches from the sides, and 24 inches if the grill is placed near vinyl siding.